Thursday, April 5, 2012

Personal Study of Daughters in My Kingdom



Personal Study of Daughters in My Kingdom

The value of this book is not so much in the dates and facts it provides but in the purposes, principles, and patterns it teaches. As individual Relief Society sisters study and refer to this book again and again, they will see that the heritage of Relief Society is not just about women who lived in the past; it is also about women all over the world today who make and keep covenants. This understanding can help sisters find inspiration from the past and feel peace as they face the future.

One of the tools I am most grateful for that I have received through the Spirit is the knowledge to look for patterns – in Father’s interaction with us, and patterns followed by righteous men and women. They help to clarify my vision and expectations of how I can apply principles and doctrines that are taught; to have ‘hope’ in how Father may deal/interact with me; and peace and confidence in my strivings forward…that I’m on the correct path…which brings inspiration and peace.

Yesterday I read the message given by Elder Nelson in last Octobers conference, ‘Covenants.’ He said: “The greatest compliment that can be earned here in this life is to be known as a covenant keeper. The rewards for a covenant keeper will be realized both here and hereafter. Scripture declares that “ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, … and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven … [and] dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness.””

The teachings, stories, and examples in the book can guide sisters in establishing priorities and practices in their lives that will help them increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need.

As I go through each day I find the greatest challenge is determining and establishing those priorities and practices that will increase my faith and personal righteousness, strengthen my family and our home, and seek out and help those in need. There are so many distractions. I seek and desire the promised blessing that the teachings, stories and examples in this book will guide me to this great ability.

Sister Belle S. Spafford, the ninth Relief Society general president, said: “The average woman today, I believe, would do well to
  •      appraise her interests,
  •         evaluate the activities in which she is engaged,
  •         and then take steps to simplify her life,
    •   putting things of first importance first,
    •    placing emphasis where the rewards will be greatest and most enduring,
    •    and ridding herself of the less rewarding activities.”


This is a very clear powerful formula (or pattern) for being a covenant keeping woman who lives a Celestial Law. I have been striving to do this over the past few months; I believe the prompting to study this book now is in direct correlation with that desire.

This follows the great pattern simply taught by Sis Beck: ‘…take care of the most essential, and then the necessary, and fill in the nice-to-do things around that.’

Now for the promises:

As sisters learn from the history of Relief Society, they may
  • discover examples, expressions, and principles that are especially meaningful to them.
  • Inspired by these discoveries and by the teachings of ancient and latter-day prophets, they can seek, receive, and act on personal revelation.
  • They can receive guidance as they strive to become the people the Lord wants them to become and do the things He would have them do.

Sisters can find encouragement in the words of Alma: “By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.” The small and simple things they accomplish will help them see how the Lord is strengthening them and guiding their lives.

I know He is…I see and feel it every day. I am very grateful. :)

No comments: