Monday, April 30, 2012

Early Excitement about Relief Society




Early Excitement about Relief Society

Sisters in Nauvoo clamored to join the Relief Society. They were excited to give temporal and spiritual aid in an organized, authorized way. They also recognized the unparalleled opportunity to be taught by a prophet in preparation for higher spiritual knowledge and the blessings of the temple. They loved being unified with one another and with their priesthood brethren in these great causes.

President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said many years later, “It is as obligatory upon a woman to draw into her life the virtues that are fostered by the Relief Society as it is an obligation for the men to build into their lives the patterns of character fostered by the priesthood.”

The Relief Society was not just another group of women trying to do good in the world. It was different. It was “something better” because it was organized under priesthood
authority. Its organization was a necessary step in the unfolding of God’s work on the earth. It prepared the women of the Church to receive priesthood ordinances and covenants, and it helped them with their family responsibilities.

I have a great longing to be taught by the Prophet and the Apostles. I love the General Conference of the Church. I have always considered it a personal tender mercy that Fall Conference falls near my birthday in October. I have always had the feeling that I as I listen, I am being taught from the Lord, Himself. I usually try to determine 3 messages that will be my ‘focus’ for the next 6 months. This last session I approached Conference with a question in mind also. I was amazed at how answers were evident in many of the messages. It is such a miracle.

Elder Neil L Andersen, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in his message, ‘What Thinks Christ of Me?’ promised the following regarding conference:

“The messages we have heard during this conference are guideposts from the Lord on our journey of discipleship. As we have listened during the past two days, praying for spiritual guidance, and as we study and pray about these messages in the days ahead, the Lord blesses us with customized direction through the gift of the Holy Ghost. These feelings turn us even more toward God, repenting, obeying, believing, and trusting. The Savior responds to our acts of faith. “If a man [or woman] love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.””

Other messages regarding Conference from former Prophets:

Pres Ezra T Benson:
“For the next six months your conference edition of the Ensign should stand next to your standard works and be referred to frequently. As my dear friend and brother Harold B Lee said, we should let these conference addresses ‘be the guide to [our] walk and talk during the next six months.’ These are the important matters the Lord sees fit to reveal to this people in this day.”

Pres Spencer W Kimball:
“I hope that you will get your copy of [the Conference talks] and underline the pertinent thoughts and keep it with you for continual reference. No text or volume outside the standard works of the Church should have such prominent place on your personal library shelves.”

Pres Gordon B Hinckley:
“[For] family home evening…I hope that fathers and mothers will gather their children about them and talk of some of the things they have heard in this conference. I would wish they might even write down some of these things, reflect on them, and remember them.”

No comments: