Thursday, April 19, 2012

Female Disciples in the New Testament IV



Female Disciples in the New Testament, cont.

“The cultivation of Christlike qualities is a demanding and relentless task—it is not for the seasonal worker or for those who will not stretch themselves, again and again.”
Spencer W. Kimball
Ensign, Nov. 1978, 105

The book of Acts includes an account of a woman who embodied the virtues Paul described. Tabitha, who was also known as Dorcas, lived in Joppa, where she made clothes for women in need.

“Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did. And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died. . . .And forasmuch as [the city of] Lydda was nigh Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to come to them.

“Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, . . . all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them. But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up (Acts 9:36–40).”

Am I a woman full of good works and almsdeeds (acts of charity)? Seeking after knowledge, study, research, learning, teaching, etc – these things all come very naturally to me. Seeking after the needs of others…not so much. I have to consciously decide to look for and minister to others. I’m too much in my head…so I’ve been told ;) One part of my mission statement addresses this: Love Thru Service. I seek to more fully reflect to other the great love that Father and Christ have shown to me. I am praying mightily for this great endowment of Charity, that I may be like Tabitha.

No comments: